Cilium simplify the integration between your Kubernetes environments with your existing network infrastructure.
Integrate your Kubernetes cluster with your existing network
Do I need yet another tool?
- BGP is the common networking protocol for data center connectivity but is not natively integrated in Kubernetes.
- Connecting your Kubernetes clusters to your legacy environment would require configuring and managing yet another tool.
- With Pods constantly changing IPs, we need a mechanism to automatically advertise Pod IP ranges and Service IPs outside of the cluster.
BGP with Cilium
- Inter-connect your legacy environment with your Cilium-managed environment using Cilium’s integrated BGP support.
- Peer with IPv4 or IPv6 neighbors.
- Pod CIDRs are automatically advertised to BGP neighbors.
- Integrate seamlessly with your Top of Rack devices over BGP.
IPv4 and IPv6 support
With Cilium 1.12, BGP is now IPv6 capable! You can peer with IPv6 peers and advertise IPv6 Pod CIDRs.
1--- 2apiVersion: "cilium.io/v2alpha1" 3kind: CiliumBGPPeeringPolicy 4metadata: 5 name: rack0 6spec: 7 nodeSelector: 8 matchLabels: 9 rack: rack0 10 virtualRouters: 11 - localASN: 65010 12 exportPodCIDR: true 13 neighbors: 14 - peerAddress: "10.0.0.1/32" 15 peerASN: 65010 16
Intuitive and simple integration
By applying a simple CiliumBGPPeeringPolicy manifest, you can establish a BGP peering session to your Top of Rack (ToR) switches and connect to your existing on-premises infrastructure.
In this video, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer Nico Vibert walks through BGP enhancements in Cilium 1.12, with the integration with GoBGP. This new version also introduces support for BGP over IPv6.
Want to learn more?
There is plenty more material available if you'd like to learn more.